Monday 25 January 2016

Threefold reflections

This course and the End of Module Assignment (EMA) addresses three areas:

  1. Project - the creation of an artefact (either a case study/paper, a multimedia presentation or a learning activity/workshop) as the culmination of a short term project.
  2. Presentation - a 10 minute presentation about the project at the H818 online conference.
  3. Networking - our development as networked practitioners, particularly using online environments.
At this stage of the module, the tricky bit for me, is finding the right balance between the three different areas. It's hard not to get focussed on one thing and forget the others.

My Project

A couple of weeks ago, I updated my Gantt chart so that I would have a clearer idea of what needed doing and when. Here's where I was:

Gantt Chart
During the last couple of weeks, I've been focussing on getting the eILP finished and starting the screencasts. I was having some sound issues with the ActivInspire screencasting tool, so today I switched to Screencast-o-matic and I love it! The clarity of both sound and images is great! Today, I also started putting together my multimedia presentation, for which I am once again using Sway. I've still got quite a bit of work to do and the actual artefact may not be completely finished in time for the presentation but I should have an acceptable version that I can show.

My Presentation

I've finally made a start on the PowerPoint presentation that I will give at the conference. I liked the style of the planning PP that I made months ago, so I've used that as a basis for it. I'm trying to use lots of visually stimulating images to keep people interested but I always find that I start well and then trail off. I need to work in short bursts and try to maintain the flow right through to the end.

My Networking

Throughout the course, I have found the networking aspect both enjoyable and easy to engage with. I've mostly managed to maintain regular contact with various colleagues on the module and have found it really helpful commenting and reviewing each other's work. 

Now we're all trying to focus on a handful of projects, though, I'm finding it more difficult. We're all juggling various aspects of working and family life alongside our studies and this leads to sporadic postings. That didn't matter when we were just commenting on anything but I feel like I'm only really posting occasionally now. Of course, Open Studio is now only part of the networking. We are also working a lot in Cloudworks and small groups are getting together in the OU Live rooms for practices.

My participation in Open Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment